8/20/2007

John Lennon - Watching The Wheels

If there is one song that reminds me of my dad and my childhood it's this one. I know, I know, I know that you hate Mr. Lennon but it's one of the greatest songs ever. I'm still really disturbed at your dislike of the Beatles but I hope that someday you can get over yourself. You're not supposed to hate anything on this earth.

I really love this album. It's interesting because I remember every word and idea that this song is about. When I was a kid I always thought of standing back from the world and "watching the wheels". I think it's a really wise song with really great lyrics. I dig the bass line too. I like that he's saying it's okay to do what you want to do with your life even if other people don't understand and you can be happy and enjoy life even though other people don't understand what you're doing.

I know you hate him and what he looks like but he's just a guy and didn't get to choose what he'd look like. What he did for the world isn't too shabby for just a guy with a big nose.

And I met Sean Lennon twice at the Rainbow and drove him and his band Cibo Matto to their gig downtown. It was really bizarre to hear John Lennon's voice coming out of the back seat asking me if I like a Destiny's Child song. It was like being in the same car as royalty.