5/28/2007

A Little Closer to Understanding Nascar

Last night I got to watch the last thirty laps of a Nascar race. Nascar is supposedly the second most popular sport in Amar-ica behind "the football". It's more popular than basketball. Can you believe that? I've been trying to get into it and here be what I learned last night. The good: The cars go more than a hundred fiddy miles per hour. There are cameras on the cars. They make pit stops really quickly (in only seconds). The gas guy in the pit crew always gets gas splashed all over him. It's really dangerous. The announcers are "good ol' boys". The bad: The race was four and a half hours long. Sitting in a car for more than three or four hours makes me crazy.

American culture. Southern culture. I'm sure most Nascar people are stereotyped as being stupid good ol' boys but in short doses it can be very entertaining to hear their accents. I'm trying to open up myself a little and not be so judgemental. I've got (hopefully) many years of life left and I don't want to be a grumpy old curmudgeon. It's really easy to find beauty in nature and baby animals (btw, a dog show was on last night... little cuties) but looking past the silliness and trying to find why they like to spend the little time they have on watching cars go in a circle can be a little straining. Luckily, I think the same reason they watch Nascar is the same reason that I watch a little baseball. To remember Pop, feel like a kid, and get transported back in time. For a moment I felt the same way watching Nascar last night.

Also, Night at the Museum was kinda good and I really like watching dog shows. I tivoed one last night. I love seeing the little furry babies. They're always so happy. I also like to see the exotic breeds and the prancing. You just want to hug them.