5/09/2007

Two Baby Ducks and Three Turtles

Today is the nicest day it's been all year. Not too hot, not too cold. Perfect. Two weeks ago there weren't even leaves on the trees. Now everything is bright green. I took my walk today. The only people out during the day around here are old women and construction workers. As you know, I can't stand construction workers, house workers, painters, handy-men... sweaty worker men are always jerks or assholes with no brains and they're always frustrated. I avoid worker men.

On my nature walk I saw the usual bunny, squirrel, chipmunk, birds... and today I got a bonus. A duck couple with two tiny babies was swimming along the shore. I went into the little thicket to see them closer... and stood absolutely still. Here's a tip: If you stand still animals will forget you are even there and go about their business. They'll keep an eye on you but they'll loose interest really fast. While I was standing there watching they forgot about me and came closer, and closer, and closer. The two babies and the mom were literally only two or three feet away. The little baby ducklings were tiny. Super tiny. I don't think I've ever seen ducklings that small and so close. Also, as I looked around there were turtles sitting on the mud nearby. I must have scared them because they moved into the water. One was really big and there were two smaller ones. Really cool.

I got a yummy piece of bread and cherry coke and read the neighborhood paper. It was a really nice afternoon.